As a producer one of the most important jobs is estimating a project accurately. Create your own cheat sheet to have on hand when you scope out a project. This way you can get down all the info you need upfront, or mark which topics you need to follow up on.
A Request for Proposal Checklist (often called a backgrounder) may include the following topics.
Synopsis of what’s being asked
- Who’s on the Client’s team
- Creative Development
- Campaign, project or product?
- Post Production
- Media Placement
- What’s the Client’s background information on this job?
- What’s the client asking the agency to do?
- What’s the competitive environment?
- Who are the consumers?
- What’s this specific project’s strategy?
- How does this fit in to the overall strategy (for the client or brand)?
- What’s the relevant research?
- How does the agency perceive the product/brand?
Positioning / Position Statement
- What’s the agency being tasked to do on this job?
- What’s this brand’s positioning?
- How does this fit in with the overall corporate positioning?
- What are the client’s objectives for this project?
- What are they expecting to accomplish?
- What are the basics we need to communicate? What are the mandatories?
- Who are we talking to?
- What do the consumers feel about the category, the brand, the product, the company and the competition?
- What do we want the consumers to feel or perceive at the end of the project?
- What do we want the consumers to do?
- Where are we driving the consumers?
- Why should the audience care about the positioning?
- How should we communicate with the consumer? Tone, voice.
CREATIVE DEVELOPMENT NEEDS
- Brief Objective (Brand Awareness, Product Sales, etc)
- Campaign Project Lifespan
- Target group (Primary/Secondary)
- Other Brand/Campaign Creative/Strategies/References
- Brand Guidelines
- Graphics/ Logos/ Fonts /Etc.
- Information Architecture
- User Flow/User Experience
- Brand site
- Standard flash banners
- Rich media ad units
- Campaign site
- Mobile application
- Online game
- Social media application
- Web videos
- Live Shoot
- Short Film
- Brand Film
- Print Ad
- Physical Product
- Design Specifications
- Packaging / POS
- Brand Guidelines
- Print Advertising
- Direct Mail
- Scope, constraints specs
- Design Development (Graphic Design/Illustration)
- Live Action Shoot (Partner/Director: )
- Stock Footage/Photography
- Sound Design
- Sound Mix
- 3D Rendering
- 2D Rendering/Compositing/ Animation
- Post-Production of Footage (Offline/Online Edits, Grading, etc)
- Music: Licensed/Original
- Start date
- Creative review dates (#of revisions, timeframe for approvals)
- Tracking strategy and dates
- Animation/build dates
- Alpha delivery
- QA schedule
Approval deadlines (including client/legal reviews)
- Final delivery date
- Launch date
- On Air Date
- Media Post-launch optimization
- Source file delivery dates
- Screen Resolution
- OS Compatibility
- CPU/Processor Speed Requirements
- Browser Compatibility
- Software/Languages Used (flash, php, mysql, html, xml, etc) o Hosting/hardware Requirements (server setup, CDN)
- Page Load Limitations
- Search Engine Optimization Requirements
- Tracking Requirements (tags placed, deeplinking for flash sites)
- Licensing of Software Required
- Localization Requirements
- Admin/Moderation Requirements
- Integration with Current Brand/Project Back-End Environments
- (Client IT Management)
- Source files/code Ownership
- Support Agreement/Requirements
- Licensing of content
- Full outline of scope
- Full listing of deliverables
- Awards submission and project credentials
- Team and time needed
- PR Needs