The job description below is meant to show one iteration of what this position means, this position may differ at agencies.
The User Experience Designer (UED or Ux) designs and grows a client's brand with the agency on an ongoing and project basis. They typically function as a key member of the User Experience team responsible for creating, iterating, presenting, and delivering exceptional design solutions that exceed client expectations. In this role, the UED/UX insures that the agency provides:
- Sound and responsible marketing counseling and planning.
- Conceptual visual creation of ideas spanning all areas of integrated communication, branding and interactive programs.
- Proper and innovative execution of work in all areas on schedule.
- Deliver a consistently superior creative product.
- A collaborative approach to the user-centered design process.
- Innovative solutions and experiences.
- Bachelor’s Degree of Fine Arts, Media Arts, Interaction Design or equivalent education and experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience at a large or recognized interactive agency
- Fluency in the principles of user-centered design methods, information architecture, usability, and interface and interaction design
- A broad portfolio of design work demonstrating expertise in at least 2 major areas of UX design (ethnographic research, design strategy, interaction design, usability testing)
- A strong knowledge of the various software options used in the field for design and rapid prototyping (Adobe Creative Suite, OmniGraffle, and Axure, InVision)
- A firm grasp of a range of UX tools, processes, and outcomes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills demonstrated through a comfortability in presenting work and actively gathering feedback, both internally and with clients
- Experience working with other designers and communicating about the value and methods of UX
- An enthusiasm for keeping up to date on current topics in the field to inspire and inform client work and organizational culture
- Excellent organizational, time management, and multitasking capabilities
- Proven experience in interactive/mobile/web and visual design.
- Interest in and aptitude for creative business and marketing solutions
- Knowledge of web application design and build
- Experience in Integrated marketing, branding and visual design.
- Will make fun of my Ux skills and user experience background
- Self motivated and willing to expand knowledge
- Ability to self-manage while managing assigned teams and projects.
- Experience with print and digital production
- Capability to work on simultaneous projects and meet tight deadlines.
The UED position requires ongoing and in-depth interactions with the following: Internal: The UED reports to (open to debate). As assigned, the UED has overall responsibility for designing the client’s user experience design effort. Within the agency, the UED is a visual design leader for the client and works closely with all agency personnel in developing and executing deliverables. External: The UED may direct client contact with assigned agency clients. Must be an excellent pitch person, with great communication skills.
Responsibilities and Duties
The UED has four areas of responsibility (specific duties of each are explained below)
Planning, Analyzing, Evaluating
- Develop workable budgets, work plans and realistic timetables.
- Collaborates with the HD, Head of Account Services, President, Head of Strategy and Head of Digital, on preparation of marketing recommendations, visual design strategies and actions for the client.
- Reviews, analyzes and evaluates the following, relative to the client’s needs and objectives: visual media output, creative output, research reports and client data.
- Demonstrate ability to recognize upcoming opportunities and threats to their projects.
- Defining UX design scope, works with peers in the creation of project specifications and time plans.
- Assist in translating complex business requirements, user requirements, and specifications
- Assist Strategy with heuristic reviews or evaluations
- Participate in concept generation and modeling
Team Leading, Coordinating, Managing
- Provides UX and UI design leadership within the agency on behalf of the client.
- Monitors all budget, research and design related activity to their individual projects.
- Maintains communications with appropriate agency and client personnel to ensure positive workflow.
- Educating clients on visual design and a track record of creating awesome work.
- Champion internal systems for higher productivity working
- Support business development by contributing UX perspectives and concept development as needed
Project & Product Management
- Can self manage projects from concept to finish, ensuring successful project completion against deadlines.
- Provide and maintain projects status - liaising with development teams, designers and staff to provide accurate updates of project statuses
- Project quality assurance - testing and review of output, reviewing outputted deliverables against scope
- Understands: visual design, Ux, UI, branding, positioning development, marketing plans, manufacturing or development needs, timeline and roadmap planning, stats analysis and reporting.
- Strong visual approach for video, interactive and user journey experience with proven skills in interaction design, brand and campaign concepting and execution.
- Management and leadership skills
- Able to decipher complex communication briefs and objectives into intelligent design and media / technology solutions. - storyteller with the ability to command a room and build strong client relationships.
- Previous cross discipline experience that covers interactive / experiential design, creative media arts, immersive and reactive environments and narrative storytelling for multi-sensory physical experiences.
- Develop and deliver logical information models, user flows, wireframes, sitemaps, nomenclature documents, content mapping, and navigation schemes for new and existing websites
- Collaborate positively with other designers and project leadership; invite feedback and conversation about UX design solutions from project team and studio leadership as needed
- Assist in planning and development of usability testing