The creative director is responsible for developing original creative / design concepts and approaches. They oversee multiple projects through execution and oversee all creative operations for a specific group of accounts. They may oversee the design team (if there is no design director) The creative director also contributes to the development of across the board strategy. They direct the activities of his/her staff to maintain the agency's standards of creative excellence, timeliness, and profitability, while achieving the clients' goals. They inspire collaboration and teamwork. The creative director is also responsible for managing the client relationship for all things related to creative. Resolves functional conflicts through consultation with project team heads. An experienced presenter. Senior-level client contact. An ECD is typically the creative lead for an agency (or agency office location) and would be in charge of other creative directors.
- Develop and deliver thought leadership and creative solutions that strengthen clients’ market distinction and leadership position
- Responsible for articulating and defending conceptual and directional choices
- Promote continual creative improvement and actively contribute to a culture of innovation, excellence and accountability
- Insures the timely development and execution of plan, campaigns, and projects to assure earnings, growth, and profit goals are achieved.
- Plans, develops, and defends budget recommendations, work goals, measurements, and training requirements necessary to provide both profitable and quality service to clients.
- Provides detailed information and cost estimates to assure accurate data on which to plan and develop functional objectives and budgets leading to stable and profitable accounts.
- An ECD supports and directs other creative directors.
- Provides leadership/motivation and conveys the vision and values of the agency to staff.
- Oversees creative consultations with account teams to assure appropriate creative strategies, adequacy/accuracy of input, schedules, budgets, production support, necessary reviews, and client presentations.
- Trains and supervises assigned staff of writers, junior creatives and art directors; oversees their execution of all creative efforts to insure they are on strategy, on budget, and on schedule.
- Recommend staffing and compensation changes.
- Assures the staff adheres to established agency policy/procedures.
- Maintains external professional relationships to assure the ongoing availability of specialized expertise, gifted freelancers, and reputable studios/producers when their services are required.
- Participates in the new business efforts (and leads the creative teams new business efforts).