There are many other blogs that focus on agency strategy & account planning, so this is a short entry.
Here is a real quick job description for the strategy function you may encounter. The Strategist plays a key role in driving client strategy throughout an engagement
Strategists gather, define, and clarify the insights that drive our creative solutions and help us make a difference in our client’s business.
- Develop an understanding of the client’s business environment and strategy
- Collaborate with our team to define project objectives, set key performance metrics, and establish project approach
- Conduct research, stakeholder interviews, brainstorming sessions, and on digital projects conducting things like, features and functionality workshops
- Oversee audience research activities (in conjunction with client or 3rd party) research teams
- Perform competitive analysis and identify gaps and opportunities in the marketplace
- Assemble strategic insights into presentation materials for mid and senior level clients
- Keep abreast of emerging behaviors, technologies, and companies that are changing our client’s businesses
- Act as an internal resource, championing our content / storytelling / digital innovation whenever possible
- Lead or collaborate client engagements on a day to day basis
- Be able to lead executive / expert interviews and client presentations
- Select appropriate frameworks, tools and approaches to use in solving client problems
- Demonstrate domain knowledge and expertise in a range of skills, such as business model development, financial modeling, product portfolio planning, organizational strategy, channel and go-to-market models, customer / market research etc.
- Manage consulting engagements
- Contribute to business development and thought leadership activities